Chiaia Food Tour & La Napoli Sotterranea
A tasty 5 hour tour around the Chiaia neighborhood and underground Naples
The Chiaia neighborhood was developed outside the walls of the ancient city in the mid 17th century. The area was once rich in gardens and was originally composed of two main streets, one ran along the coast (todays Riviera di Chiaia) and another one ran internally. The original asset was radically changed during the second half of the 18th century, when Via dei Mille and Piazza Amedeo were constructed. This neighborhoods is today one of the most elegant and exclusive of the city, Via dei Mille, Via Calabritto, Via Filangieri, Piazza dei Martiri host the most importand brands of fashion and lifestyle.
Chiaia is referred to as the new city center and hosts some of the best places offering great food and the real local atmosphere so far away from the general stereotype known worldwide. Have a walk with us and taste the best chocolates and icecream by Master Chocolatier Gennaro Bottone, visit the city below the city, Napoli Sotterranea, an ancient aqueduct transformed into a bomb shelter during World War II at 40m below street level. Once back to the surface have a delicious espresso at the Antica Caffettiera and taste the best mozzarella and parmigiana di melanzane that you could ever imagine and then take a walk through the Villa comunale onto what is considered one of the most beautiful seafront promenade in the world! Then walk back into the heart of chiaia to continue the tour with a stop at the Prosciutteria for a local wine tasting combined with delicious cold cuts and cheeses and finish off with two delicious tastings of Neapolitan pasta dishes at the restaurant La Riviera di Partenope.
|Tour Departures||Duration||Running Days|
|09:45 AM||5 hours approx.||Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday|
We meet outside the newsagent kiosk in Piazza Carolina (between Piazza del Plebiscito and Via Chiaia)
Riviera di Chiaia (Piazza San Pasquale) - Our Tour Leaders will be more than happy to help you find your way back!
- After beeing welcomed by our tourleder at the meeting point and before the eating begins we will take you to visit Napoli Sotterranea, 40m below street level to discover the underground city and learn about how people lived these parts of the city before and during World War II. This part of the tour is not indicated for claustrofobics, if you would like to take the Chiaia Food Tour without visiting La Napoli Sotterranea, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before purchasing the tour and we will accomodate you. Also a fair amount of stairs will be climed. We recommend you bring a sweater, it may get chilly down there!
- The first stop of this tour stop is at the "Dolce Idea" chocolate boutique, where you will taste the best "tartufo" (truffle) ice cream and a variety of chocolates by the most outstanding Master Chocolatier of the city, Gennaro Bottone. Considered the king of chocolate, he delights Neapolitans since 1979 with the most mouth watering wonders.
- The second stop is for a delicious espresso at the "Gran Caffé La Caffettiera" an ancient bar serving top quality coffee to neapolitans for decades.
- The third stop is one of the most popular "Trattoria" for the Neapolitans, "Antica Latteria". where you will be delighted by their home made "Parmigiana di Melanzane", their fresh Mozzarela Cheese and a local glass of "vino".
- The fourth stop is at the Prosciutteria, a typical local delicatessen where you will taste a variety of different cold cuts and cheeses combined with a tasting of the best local wines.
- The fift stop is at La Riviera di Partenope, a Neapolitan restaurant run in style with a great atmosphere and delicious dishes. Here we will offer you the typical "bruschetta" and two tastings of Neapolitan pasta dishes (depending on seasonal availability) with a glass of local wine.